Having spent the majority of the last ten years working remotely, I thought I would share a few personal wellness tips that have worked for me.
1. Take regular breaks and get away from the computer. Even if this means setting an hourly timer, get up and walk around for a few minutes, stretch, get some fresh air, or play with your pet.
2. Try your best to operate in a separate workspace, an office is ideal. If you can’t and have to work in a common area, consider putting everything away at the end of the workday. Resist the temptation to continuously be working.
3. Stay active. If you’re used to going to the gym or playing sport (like tennis for me!) don’t give up on fitness. The 7 Minute Workout is a great way to stay active and can easily be done indoors. It’s actually a great way to start the day. Yes, there is also a free app for it too!
4. Watch your caffeine intake. Most everyone knows I love my coffee but over time, I have learned to manage my intake and now limit myself to no more than four coffees a day, usually three. At some point my body is no longer going to tolerate it so by reducing my intake, I’m hopefully prolonging my enjoyment. I really don’t get diet-coffee i.e. decaffeinated!
5. Stay hydrated. My rule of thumb is to simply drink a glass of water every time I have a cup of coffee. Your mileage will vary but this is an easy process to counteract the dehydrating effects of coffee.
6. Give your eyes a break. Blink more and use eye drops. We have a tendency to blink less the longer we stare at a screen. I’m a fan of the Similasan Dry Eye Relief drops. They also have a Complete Eye Relief formula but have never used it.
7. Lastly, keep connected. Make a point of regularly speaking to your family, friends, colleagues, and peers. This means more than just email or text messages, try a video call. Social interaction is healthy.
Do you have tip you would like to share? Let us know!